Monday, January 5, 2009

Ain't ain't a word!!!

I met this guy online via a fitness dating website. His profile makes him look like a perfect match. He's an engineer, has his master's degree, is in good shape, positive outlook on life, and has a cool dog.

We emailed back and forth a few times and then decided to upgrade to a phone conversation. He called on a Tuesday evening and we chatted for a bit. I was slightly taken aback, however, when he used the word 'ain't' several times throughout the convo. He was not telling a joke, rapping Jay-Z lyrics to me, or using it in the form of an accepted cliche such as 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' Blech, that word is like nails on a chalkboard to me!

Well, trying to acquiesce to an open-minded attitude, I decided to meet him out anyway. We met at Starbucks on Thursday of the same week. While he didn't look quite like his posted photos on online, he was a good looking guy and definitely in good shape (i.e. impressive deltoids under a just tight enough shirt).

The conversation flowed just fine, and the frequency of the use of the term 'ain't' did, in fact, diminish, only to be replaced, however by 'I seen,' 'Me and So-and-So,' and 'Him and me.' Where is this guy from?!?! It had to be Alabama I thought (no offense to any natives). Nope, I found out about halfway into the convo - Chicago! Clearly his master's degree was not in English.

The date finished up about an hour later. We'd only had non-alcoholic beverages, so kissing was clearly not an option. We parted ways with a hug and I received an email from him the next day, which actually contained a phrase where the word 'ain't' was TYPED. As in, 'I ain't going to the mountains this weekend.' He's a nice enough guy, and I've seen him since, but I just can't accept the fact that he is grammatically challenged...and that ain't no lie!

No comments: