Wednesday, January 7, 2009

NYE - Part 1

There have been times in my life when I truly believe that I have a New Year's Eve curse. While the eve of NYE 2007 was one of the most fun nights of my life and New Year's Day 2005 resulted in meeting a guy whom I dated for ten months, the night of the 31st itself has traditionally sucked. This year was not an exception - or so I thought...

Part 1 will explain what I thought happened in real time. Part 2 (to follow at a later date) will explain what ACTUALLY happened that night.

So, here goes with Part 1 - I have to back track for a sec...I met 'Indiana' via the fitness online dating website a couple of weeks before C-mas. He's almost a year younger which goes against what I've traditionally done (which has obviously worked so well), so I decided to meet him anyhow, but didn't wash my hair and wore a hat. Well, he turned out to be super cute, intelligent, athletic, charming, and fun. He liked the hat. We went out a second time the night before I went home for Christmas. I was thinking it would be a 2 drink night, home by 11PM. Well, it was more like 4, maybe 5 drinks, a shot, an innocent, but lengthy make-out session in his car, and I violated my Cinderella rule arriving home around 2AM.

Well, we talked while I was home and he was home over the holiday. I got back on the 30th and while we had different NYE plans (I was going to a concert, he was going to a party), we agreed to meet for tea at about 5:30PM on NYE, so we could see each other. As we met for tea, Indiana says, 'So I'm going to the concert tonight.' 'Woe, tiger,' I thought, 'You're inviting yourself to the concert where I'M going?' That seemed a little eager or invasive or something to me, but as we hung out and talked I was enjoying his company and thought it might be fun to have him there. We parted ways after he walked me to my car and I said, 'Ok, see you later!'

Fast forward to the concert at 10PM - I receive a text from Indiana saying, 'You at the show?' I responded affirmatively and asked, 'Where r u?' At this point a guy friend of mine who is rumored to have a crush on me, which is flattering but does not reflect my opinion of him, showed up at the last minute. Well, he proceeds to be attached to my hip, and Indiana is not texting me back. Additionally, my original plan for the night was to hang out with my girlfriends and meet new guys. Now, however, Indiana, who had just invited himself to the concert where I was going is totally blowing me off, I am being comandered by a guy I don't want to be with, and I can't find my girlfriends. ARGH!

The stroke of midnight comes and goes, still no Indiana. Whatever, I thought, at that point, I'd now accidentally kissed guy attached to my hip (What the hell, it was New Year's!), and was heading to bars near my house so I could walk home. Earlier in the evening I had arranged to meet up with a different group of friends at the bars near my house after midnight. I called and texted two of them and received no response whatsoever. At that point I'm waiting for friends who'd agreed to give me a ride. Well, they forget me. They drove home and then it dawned on them that they had promised me a ride. So I wind up in cab with hip-attached guy who insists on making sure I get home okay. At approximately 1:24AM, I get out of the cab - solo - much to the dismay of aforementioned hip guy, get into my house, and proceed to eat fudge that I'd made earlier. Very tasty, but detrimental to my mental health when I realize the number of calories I just consumed in less than five minutes.

The night finally ends with one text from Mr. Wrong (Yes, ex-boyfriend) wishing me a Happy New Year (Great, I really needed that) and, finally, another text from Indiana saying, 'The show's not over. Are we meeting for a shot later?' 'What?!' The show WAS over by then. Does he have two people with my same name in his phone and he's mixing us up?! I was tipsy, my stomach was full of vodka sodas and chocolate. I was disappointed and lonely. I fell asleep quickly as I repeated 'SuperFine in '09, SuperFine in '09.'

Part 2 to follow - Funny how things can change....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read part 2!