Sunday, January 18, 2009

Business Meeting or Date? You Decide!

I was attending an Angel Investor Entrepreneurial Convention. The entrepreneurs pitch their ideas with the intention of attracting investment money needed for their new businesses to grow.


There were A LOT of guys at this convention, mostly mid-40s to mid-50s and married, but there were a few younger gentleman who were smart and well dressed. I was very much in the minority as a younger, single female. Fine with me!


"Colt" was one of the entrepreneurs pitching his idea. The idea, incidentally, has to do with environmental sustainability, which is the career direction in which I'm trying to move. I went up to him and introduced myself after he delivered his pitch. He immediately used my name as I extended my hand. Sure, I had on a nametag, but I thought it was nice that I didn't have to say, 'My name is....' He gave me his card and I emailed him later that week with some made-up, but seemingly legitimate business suggestion. I closed the email by typing..."I'd be happy to meet with you for coffee or a cocktail sometime to discuss." He responded in under 12 hours and said, "Yes, let's get a cocktail. What does your schedule look like next week?" That's a good sign, right?


We met for happy hour on a really cold night. He called to say that he was running late, so I asked for his drink order. We were both drinking vodka sodas. We finished the first round of drinks and he suggested another round. "I'll get this one," he said. 'Okay,' I thought, most BUSINESS meetings do not involve more than one round of beverages and if they do, it's usually beers, not liquor, but I'm game. Our conversation had already left my contrived business idea anyhow and we were discussing our childhood, vacations, mountain activities, etc.


He brings back the drinks, suggests ordering food, which we do, and after over 2 hours, he takes care of the tab and we make a verbal list of all of our 'action items' from this 'meeting.' They involved things like visiting the planetarium, exchanging some books, and definitely meeting up for some outdoor winter-time activities. Sounds more boyfriend than business partner to me, but what do I know?


We walk outside the restaurant, he walks me to my car (this has never happened even once after a business meeting), gives me a hug good-bye, and says he'll be in touch soon. Approximately 45 minutes later I receive a text message from him....'Really enjoyed the conversation. Have a great night.' 'Ha!' I thought, that was TOTALLY a date. My staged business-meeting ploy worked!


The next day I even got an email from him asking me to clarify the name of a book recommendation I'd given him. He totally wants me...


2 comments:

Malissa said...

SO NOT a business meeting!! he really wants you...
keep us posted...

Mickey D. said...

This was well played by both parties. It was a date under the guise of a business meeting, in case things didn't go well. But the walking to the car, the text message and the email a couple days later clearly indicate DATE.

He wants you.