Thursday, May 1, 2008

What's in a name?

Okay, honestly, when you picture a guy named, let's say 'Melvin,' what do you picture? Be honest!!! I did not go out with 'Melvin' last night, but something tantamount. He arrived at the bar before I did. As the hostess guided me to the area where my date was sitting in sea of potentially eligible bachelors, I immediately picked him out. He was not the guy who had his laptop bag sitting beside him, nor the hottie who had his Adidas bag underneath the bar stool where I would soon be sitting. Nope, there he was, hunched a little forward with a very warm, friendly, welcoming smile. I honestly wanted to immediately hug him when I met him because he looked like the kind of guy who would never harm a flea and would ALWAYS go get frozen yogurt with me.

Instead of the big bear hug that you'd deliver to your favorite uncle, I gave him a big smile and introduced myself. I proceeded to order a tall vodka soda...he was already drinking a Scotch on the rocks...and the convo ensued.

The best part: It was an enjoyable hour of conversation with a new friend. He also taught me about some medically approved machine that delivers an abs workout without any exertion on the part of the person with said abs. He said he lost an inch around his middle the first time he did it. Intrigued? I am!

The worst part: Not a sports fan, whatsoever. He lived in Manhattan for a few years and NEVER went to Yankee Stadium. Never! Can you believe that?! I'm flying there this summer specifically so I can see a game in the historically famed stadium while it's in its final season.

Turnoff: As we parted ways, we shook hands. Are you familiar with the dead fish handshake? Yes, that's what it was. When I was 9 years old my grandma taught me how to shake hands and I'm a girl. Oh boy....anyhow....

Turnon: He was not scary, offensive, aggressive, or egotistical. He made several funny comments.

Summary:
He paid.
Scoopability: 2 out of 5
Spark factor: 0.74 (I'm sorry, the handshake thing was creepy.)
Number exchange? He asked, I gave him mine. I'd be happy to hang out with him again, although it probably won't be at a baseball game!

The name thing, though, I'm really wondering....Are there any Melvins, Marvins, Dwaynes, or Freds whom you know that go by their full first name and are cool? On the flip-side, are there any Dillons, Codys, or Trevors whom you know who are nerdy? Does the name make the person or the person make the name?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy is smarter than you think... never been to Yankee stadium. Give him credit for that! I am sure he has been to Fenway. Also, second date is a must, I need to know about this abs thing.

Iris Took said...

Go on a second date!!

1) Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - SO HOT
Marvin Gaye - very cool
Melvin - I need a minute

2) Maybe he didn't want to crush your dainty feminine hand. Give him some credit. He was trying to be genteel.

I like him already :)

Hurley said...

Yeah, so, about that ab thing...if lazy still has a chance of working for me, I need to know asap. Also, Cody and Trevor are cool names?!? I learn something new everyday...cuz I thought that Cody was a dog's name, and Trevor was always followed by a suffix...

Malissa said...

please disclose the name and/or website address to this ab machine. i'm absolutely a product whore and will bow to any such idea that you can lose an inch with NO effort. : )
p.s. - nice to see you here (i'm a friend of Two Pretzels and when i stayed at her casa in March i heard all about you and Een and feel like i know you two!)

Malissa said...

please disclose the name and/or website address to this ab machine. i'm absolutely a product whore and will bow to any such idea that you can lose an inch with NO effort. : )
p.s. - nice to see you here (i'm a friend of Two Pretzels and when i stayed at her casa in March i heard all about you and Een and feel like i know you two!)

Sad Panda said...

I agree with Iris, maybe he wasn't trying to crush your hand. I happen to have a very firm handshake for a girl, and I've been known to be a bit too firm, so I've had to that down.

As for the names, I have an Uncle Fred who was in the Army and he's pretty cool.

By the way, I'm friends with Iris and she mentioned you on her blog. Even though you've been blogging for awhile, welcome!

Unknown said...

I don't think name has anything to do with it. I dated 2 girls recently with names I've never even heard of. But, seriously, your biggest turnon was "he was not scary"?!? Sounds like a match made in heaven! LOL

Hurley said...

Good stuff Mike...and, there are TWO names that you've never heard of? What were these?

Moey said...

I had a HUGE crush on a guy named Harold when I was in high school... he was super cool.

Although, recently, when I saw him, he looked rather nerdy and was managing a bank... maybe the name was finally bringing him down.

ps. love the blog!

Moey said...

And another thing...

I am totally with you on the hand shake. It grosses me out just to think of it. His hand was probably sweaty too.

Sounds like NO CHEMISTRY to me. There are plenty of other fish in the sea... who don't shake like a dead one... BARF!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Hi you! I'm so glad to read your blog - it feels like we're having a conversation and I love it.

And yes, Melvin was my first cabbage patch - so I'd definitely bear-hug a Melvin, too.

I'm with Een - go out on Date #2.

HUG TO YOU!

31derful said...

Thanks for all of your comments, new Blog Friends! This is fun!

Hurley said...

Moey, good stuff on the name finally bringing him down...AND, 31derful!!!, whats the word on this ab thing?!? Inquiring minds want/need to know.