Thursday, May 15, 2008

If Demi and Ashton can make it work....

What is my deal with the age thing? My chiropractor set me up on a lunch date today. My blind date is 1 year, 9 months, and 8 days younger than I. He is smart, good-looking, wants to have a gym in his basement eventually, has a good job, and is close with his family. He opened doors for me and took care of the check. He was a gentleman who had the business casual dress thing down. Good height, nice shoulders.

The age difference bothers me, though! Ever since my first job selling mugs with personalized pictures on them from a kiosk in the Franklin Park Mall, I have ALWAYS worked with people who are at least a few years older. Regarding my friends, I am typically one of the junior members. And, to be honest, my last boyfriend (yes, I know that it didn't work out) was eight years older, and I liked how that felt. My sisters are both younger, however, and I like to feel like their protectors (even from afar).

With this guy, it was more natural for me to feel like his older sister than his date, even though he did all of the right date things. He did, however, talk about living in the dorms during college. FYI - Once you've passed the age of 25, those stories should be reserved for long road trips, campfire chats, and those nights where you accidentally stay up until 4 in the morning talking. He has traveled very little. His friends are his age too, which means that even though he might be a particularly mature 29 year old, chances are his friends act like, well, like 29 year old guys. Sigh. In an effort to be open-minded, I will go out with him again. We already made semi-set plans to go to the Denver Aquarium, which serves food and alcohol to those of legal drinking age.

Perhaps it's just that being with him makes me feel old and as if I have to take care of him. No one likes to feel old and everyone likes to feel taken care of. One of my wise, very good girlfriends, who happens to be slightly older than I told me today that she got over the age thing when she realized that the older she becomes the more desperate she gets, so she's open to the younger guy thing now! Ironically enough she is currently crushing on a guy who is 7 years her elder. I failed to point that out to her, however, as she was impressing upon me her geriatric wisdom. ;)

Scoopability: 5
Spark Factor: Potential for a 3+ if I can get over the age thing.

7 comments:

Iris Took said...

GO AGAINST THE GRAIN! You know I like younger men :)


Ok, think about the benefits. He can keep up with you, he knows the cool scene, and I bet he is not too stuck in his ways.

PS I need to see spark factor and scoopability.

Malissa said...

you should totally check out this book that my friend's hip mom got me. it's title is "The Four Man Plan" and the author is Cindy Lu. I read it in like 2 days, and it is - BY FAR - the best "dating" book I've ever read. SO FUNNY and practical all at once.

definitely sounds like at least 2 dates for this guy...

31derful said...

I love book suggestions! Thank you so much!

Malissa said...

you should get it ASAP (i think it will help you devise a plan for this crazy dating game). i would be able to use the 4 Man Plan (4MP) if i actually lived in a populated area, such as you do. alas, i will just live vicariously through others until i move to greener pastures.

Hurley said...

How does a 29 year old act that much different from a 31 year old? In 15 years, is 44 and 46 going to be that big of a deal? The fact that you referenced Ashton and Demi whose age difference is 15+ years makes me think that you might be thinking too much about this. Although, if they raise the drinking age to 32 in Denver, dump him!

p.s. for three months, you're only 1 age year apart.

Anonymous said...

I think that ruling someone out based on a one or two year age difference is a bit extreme. 5+ years would maybe make a difference but 1-2 is just eliminating people unfairly! If someone is going to take care of you they will, regardless of their age!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I'm voting, "open the mind" on this one, as well.

I completely understand that you don't want a beer-bonging, cut-off kahki's wearing, long-haired college boy...but 29 definitely isn't 21.

Go for it.

Besides, you take care of sooo many people and so many things, perhaps it'll be nice to be taken care of one of these days?