Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pillow Talk

This following happened several weeks ago...aka, prior to Valentine's Day.

I'm in a pool of bachelorettes for a matchmaking service. This is separate from the It's Just Lunch dates. The woman who owns the matchmaking service works for the men. They pay her about $3K to essentially find them a mate. So I'm in her pool of potentials 'mates.'

She'd been trying for weeks to set me up with Jon. Between my travel schedule and his work schedule, we were having issues meeting up for our first date, when it finally dawned on her that he owns a business at the airport (my second home), so why don't we meet up there? Perfect! I was landing at 3PM on Wednesday of that week. 'He'll meet you at your gate,' Miss Matchmaker said.

My flight home was a short one...a little over an hour. Apparently I was quite tired that day because I fell asleep before the wheels even left the ground and slept so hard that I had to actually lift up the window shade to see if we had landed. In a complete daze, I tried to wake myself up knowing that Prince Charming Potential was going to be right there at the gate. I was sooo out of it, though, still completely in la-la, dreamland. I checked myself out in my compact mirror and while I was relieved not to have any makeup under my eyes (god bless smudge proof mascara), I did have very prominent pillow marks engraved in my face. If anyone has an instant cure for these, please let me know, because I had no idea how to get rid of them in a pinch.

So I walk off the plane and instantly spot Jon. I walk up to him, flash as peppy of a smile as I can, and introduce myself. He hugs and kisses, yes, kisses me on the lips. I mean it was only a little peck, but still, kinda forward! And it only added to sleep-induced confusion, but he took my bag for me and handed me a gift certificate to his store. 'Wow, this is great,' I thought. I liked the personal concierge service.

I own up to my hard core snooze...difficult to deny with pillow marks illuminating my face and he says, 'Ya, you look a little tired.' Well, that's fabulous, I thought. Anyhoo...I politely excused myself to the ladies' room, freshened up, and then we made our way to the main terminal for some tea.

It was a pleasant date and I'll go out with him again. Next time, I'll be sure that it's not approximately 2.3 minutes after I wake up!

1 comment:

Iris Took said...

The title of this post made me nervous, but I am glad it was this story!